KOR
Forum material

2022 [Round Table] Ian Fry

페이지 정보

조회 276 Views 작성일 23-01-26 18:10

본문

Round Table 

Ian Fry, 

Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights in the context of climate change, 

Unites Nation 

The connection between cities, climate change and human rights is very strong. This can be viewed from two perspectives. First, the impacts of climate change on people living in cities, and the effects of these impacts have on the enjoyment of human rights. Second, the contribution of cities to climate change. I recently returned from Bangladesh, where I witnessed firsthand the impacts of climate change on city dwellers, particularly those living in informal settlements. The city of Dhaka in Bangladesh has more than 5000 slums, with estimated population of 4 million people living in slum conditions. The enjoyment of basic human rights for these people is seriously compromised. Access to food, water, sanitation, health, shelter, education, and for some, the right to life is being deprived. In these slums, the circumstances of women and children are particularly concerning. Women may have to walk long distances to seek water. This puts them at risk of sexual harassment and violence, as they move between water sources and home.

Children are denied access to education and are subject to trafficking. 

Cities also need to manage their waste streams and dramatically increase recycling to avoid methane emissions. These are just a few suggestions. We are facing a global climate change crisis and every effort must be made to accelerate action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. We owe this to our young people and future generations. I sincerely hope this conference will find real and lasting solutions to the global crisis we are facing.

첨부파일