KOR
Forum material

2023 [Children and Youth] KIM Jinyeong Full Paper

페이지 정보

조회 212 Views 작성일 23-09-26 18:46

본문

Why should we worry about the issue of educational inequality?

KIM Jinyeong [Professor, Konkuk University]

1. Introduction 

Among the most famous documents related to human rights is the “Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR),” adopted by the Third United Nations General Assembly in Paris on December 10, 1948. This declaration came out of humanity's reflection on the human rights violations that were rampant around the world before and after World War II. In this Declaration of Human Rights, which consists of a total of 30 articles, Article 1 declares that “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.” making it clear that the concept of equality is strongly incorporated in human rights. Let me also quote Article 26: Right to Education.

I've occasionally heard that schoolteachers recommend private education, and I hope that at least that doesn't happen in Korean public education. Schools should not be places where students are screened and lined up, but rather places where inclusive education, not exclusion, is provided based on the belief that all members of future generations have the ability to learn. Depending on how education is conducted, inequality can be alleviated or strengthened. Many people are now worried that education in Korea has shifted from alleviating inequality to reinforcing it. Now is high time to change the direction again. 

첨부파일